.Sungkai at V.

September 10, 2008


From left to right: Thai, Yun, Ms Crocs, Ms Giggles, Ms DT & M7
.Waiting for the bus.

Its almost two weeks into the fasting month and out of it all, I have only eaten twice at home. Every other night has been a dine out, mostly with friends, albeit unintentional and also mainly due to the lack of time and resources to cook at home... but dining out this often has left a HOLE in my wallet... and coincidentally my heart sorely calls for the comforts of good ole fashioned home-cooked meals.


On the way to Ms V's house.


Just as the thoughts of home-made comfort food linger in my thoughts, it was then that I heard a faint tune humming through the depths of my bag. Rummaged through, and out came my phone, juddering and singing its melodious tune. On the screen, it said: Ms V.

As I answered my phone, I was greeted by her cheery high pitched voice. Four keywords stood out in our conversation: “dinner” “Wednesday” and “my place”, she said.

Appetizers before the heavy meal:
dates and strawberries

That being said… let me just say that I sorely miss home-cooked Bruneian food and having the pleasure of being invited to Ms V’s house to feast on such food was a rare and delectable treat to my senses.


On the A la Carte, served with a steamed rice on the side:
  • spicy cuttlefish
  • beef rendang
  • stir-fried bok choy with mini-shrimps
  • sambal mango-strawberry salad
  • milky, smooth cendol

.Cendol.

Also not forgetting, the induction of kueh puteri mandi
a malay cake made from a mixture of glutinous rice and rolled lightly on
fine sweetened coconut shavings.


Ms Giggles making the Kueh Puteri Mandi

I'm slightly ashamed to admit this: it was my first time ever trying this cake, as I tend to make it a general habit to shy away from malay cakes due to personal preferences. However, despite that, watching Ms Giggles make the little cakes only served to intensify my curiousity and notibly my taste buds for these little cute green lovelies.

The cooking process was very simple, which mainly consisted of rolling the glutinous rice into scrumptious balls (size of a dime), boil them to perfection before rolling them around sweetened coconut shavings. The end product? a sweet and chewy heavenly delight!



.Waiting for the train back home.
These were taken by Sash
.I think they're awesome shots.

For more photos, check out:
.Sungkai at V's.

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Hello Globe Trotters! :)