Life in Belgium Part 2: Dutch houses in French-speaking Land

April 7, 2010

Slowly I think I'm becoming to love Belgium: the cultured atmosphere, the village-styled city, the beauty of its architecture, the friendliness of its people, their love and passion for all things that are food, their language, style of living... everything!

I've been here for almost two full weeks and I have much to show you guys... but good things come in time! So bear with me - preferably in serene patience, rather than frustrating irritation. Hehehe ;)

Perhaps it's about time I show you the house we're living in. I know what most of you are thinking (something in the lines of: "it's about time!!!") Hahaha Sorry for making you guys wait so long. But here we go:


.The House.
.Funny thing about this photo: Just before I took this photo, one of the guys in this scene
threw himself behind the Mercedes, hence why you can't see him.

The house we live in is quite big and spacious with four bedrooms, each with its own bathroom. Its a two storey house with a expansive entertaining room, presumably for guests during tea/coffee and chitchat sessions, another room "appears" to be a library, there's also a dining room and two tv living rooms (one upstairs, another downstairs). Oh yeah, also not forgetting a heated indoor swimming pool and a sauna at the back of the house.

Yup, quite a nice place to call home. The only issue I have with this new house is the low ceiling. but it's no biggie. Aside from that, I think the house is a beautiful piece - absolutely loving the big, wide white windows because plenty of light comes into the house and I LOVE natural lighting.


.The front door of the house.

Outside the house, we've got a huge-ASS lawn, which is probably almost as long and wide as the house, if not more. You can see it from the entertaining room and the living room through the huge wide windows. Sometimes if the day is good and sunny, you'll catch birds and squirrels chasing each other across the lawn. The squirrels here are so damn cute! Running about with their fuzzy-wuzzy tails and pointy furry ears - I'll try to take a picture of them to show you guys!


The lawn of the house. It's HUGE.

Speaking of which, I saw a fox run across the lawn once!! How awesome is that? Tee hee hee.


I had to walk FAR for this photo
but for your viewing pleasure, I cropped it (see! The things i do for you guys, <3)>Sadly the weather was gloomy during the day of the shot


The house looks somewhat dutch in style. You can immediately tell by simply looking at the window designs and front door. I think it also as a Spanish-hacienda style to it as well, especially when you factor in the red rooftops and wide yellow-cream white walls all over the place.


The typical dutch-style windows

As for my room: I can't be any happier than this - absolutely loving it! My room is a series of colonial white wardrobe (finally I have the ceiling to floor wardrobe! That means I can finally put ALL my clothes away without having to give up space for mom's clothes), reddish-brown wooden furniture and dark navy blue curtains and blinds all over. My room is facing the back of the house towards the swimming pool, which I don't mind because towards the evening it becomes a nice, quiet cozy place for me to sit back and spend some quiet time to myself.

There's a huge lake and an abandoned broken down ancient building opposite the house. I was told that during winter time, the lake freezes up and becomes an ice rink for the whole neighbourhood. As for my neighbours, haven't seen them at all (mostly because they've grown those bulky tall trees all over their compound to serve as gates). It's a pretty quiet neighbourhood and everyone tends to their own business.

Once the sun shines a bit, I plan on going for a walk around the area to shoot some photos. But until then, enjoy the pics!

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Hello Globe Trotters! :)