Back in B-town

May 17, 2010


My mom: Care to join in our feast?

It's been more than two weeks since I've arrived in Brunei and things haven't changed that much which I personally think is both a good and bad thing. The weather here is in such a gloomy state: everyday the sky gets darker and grayer, hovering low... solemn, dreary and menacing... then speckles of water begin to fall down from the sky. Eventually within minutes, more came pouring down... tap tap tap tap - the sound of rain against my window. It drowns out the sound of everything else in the house.

Anyhow...

On a lighter note: had a small family gathering on Saturday afternoon- a belated Mother's Day celebration with all the grandmothers, aunts and mothers on my mother's side. Almost everyone from my mother's side came over for the early evening gathering... and for the first time since I've been back, the house was actually brimming to the top with a flurry of human activities.


Here: my adorable cuz (Saf) and my two aunts


Saf and my brother with another one of my aunt

As usual, where there are people gathering... there are also TONS of food. Quite possibly it was the first time I've seen our dining room table filled from one side to another with food ever since I came back from Belgium. There were lasagne, chicken briyani, chicken satay, ketupat (something like a dumpling comprised of rice and is woven then steamed in coconut leaves - quite flavourful!) and plenty more that unfortunately I didn't have the chance to taste any of them as I was sooo full!



As you can see the selection of food here is quite heavy for an afternoon/evening tea.
So.. consider it as early dinner. Clockwise from the bottom right: Ketupat,
Chicken Curry Puffs, Kolomee, Egg Sandwich Rolls,
Assortments of Pau (far back in the basket) and Yellow rice with raisins.



Chicken Briyani


Don't ask: My aunt just has the SEXIEST expressions when she eats good food!LOL

But I should tell you that the best part I loved about the gathering wasn't the food, it was being able to see my family and especially the kids laugh and joke around. What I especially love is that most of my cousins are good-sports and don't mind having my lens stuck less than 2 inches from the tip of their nose... hahahaha... (what can i say? I was in the moment ok!)


My mom and Aunty Liza having a laugh.
Aunty Liza is holding up her hand against her jaw
because that day she just had tooth surgery.
She's trying hard not to laugh cause it hurts. Hehehe



My cousin: Nas


Homemade Scones in the shape of a star: Awesome!

Tons of laughter, teasing, harmless fun and courage to be silly : that's what I think makes a social occasion so memorable! So that being said: Happy Belated Mother's Day everyone!!


French Dessert: Chocolate Macarons made by yours truly!
(I proudly and without regret admit that I laboured in the kitchen
making these delectable delights)



The new addition to the Vanilla Kitchen Bakery: Vanilla Butterfly Cupcakes


My cuzzies: Ka Rin & Adek


My Cuz: KaTin: food must've been lipsmackingly good!

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Hello Globe Trotters! :)