.Sleeping Under a Meteor Shower.

August 13, 2010

"Wish on everything. Pink cars are good, especially old ones.
And stars of course, first stars and shooting stars. Planes will do if they are the first light in the sky and look like stars.Wish in tunnels, holding your breath and lifting your feet off the ground. Birthday candles. Baby teeth."

- Francesca Lia Block, American Author


Tonight, I sleep under a meteor-showered velvet blue sky. Apparently, it's one of the best annual meteor-event you can get. It's called the Perseids (<--- click for more info). I was told that the peak hour to watch the meteor shower is sometime between midnight and 1am - that's when the meteors go crazy and majestically look like they're raining from the sky.

Oh how I wish I could be on a plane right now, flying into Europe! I would definitely then be able to catch the meteor-shower through the airplane window. If only I could set my up camera to capture this event, unfortunately I don't have a star-gazing telescope to attach my camera to. :(

Weather tonight is a bit of a drag: cold and cloudy. So even if I had the gear, I doubt I'd be able to take pictures of the event. Ah well, at least I take comfort in knowing that tonight I'm sleeping under a magical sky - not something you often get in Brunei. As the Perseids takes place, the folks in Brunei and Australia won't be able to catch this beautiful event because it's day time over where they are! Sucks, huh?

It's ok. Just come and visit me in Belgium next year to catch it again.
This time I'll watch it with you...


I promise! :)

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Hello Globe Trotters! :)