.Visual Stimulus.

May 14, 2009

"Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore."
- 1947, Andre Gide ,
Nobel Prize winner for Literature.


Sometimes I wish that I was naturally born with the keen eye, open mind and creativity flair for photography. But hey, I'm slowly learning... you gotta start somewhere, right?

Today's entry features a series of work by this awesomely-talented bloke, Mike S., who hails from the land called United Kingdom. In some areas of the triple w he's also known as Balakov, notably in flickr and deviantart. A self-professed light & macro nerd who also happens to be a Lego-aficionado, the works he's created has been one of the best and creative that I've seen, EVER!

The first time I came across his work was when I was surfing through one of my regulars, the BBC news website. Occasionally I would surf around the website, particularly under the photography section to see any interesting photos of their regular readers, and it was here that I found his work.




I think I found it last year... and ever since then I've been searching for his work online, disappointingly I couldn't recall his name so the search was quite hard. To my eager delight, today I coincidentally came across his work again!! Yay!!


I was so excited and happy about this rediscovery that I literally bugged my boyfriend and housemates with his photo... like a little child who had just discovered how awesome the colour green is... Yeah, I know... crazy, much? lol

What I found fascinating about his work was the brilliance of his creativity and the development of such as simple concept: the idea of taking some of history's most memorable moments in photography and re-enacting them with Lego toys (who would've thought, right?).


However, it wasn't until I discovered his "Star Wars" Lego assembly that I was like... WHOA!! In my personal opinion, I think the idea is purely awesome... partly because this Star-Wars enthusiasm is fuelled by my newly-borne obession of the Stormtroopers (much to the dismay of my housemates and friends, lol)!!

Captions and concepts of the stormtrooper collection, I found, are quite clever with a healthy dose of humour.


"Can you ever have too many pancakes?"


"Am I the the droid you're looking for?"


"Good Christ it's cold outside. Probably not so bad if you're dressed for it."


"I have you now"

1 comments:

betakappa said...

very interesting pictures. extremely entertaining reenactments of classic photos. (i love them even more cos I love Lego)

Your own pictures are pretty good. (saw some here and there) (my point of view, but then again, what do I know? lol)

Been browsing through your blog. Its different. In a good way!


Ben

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Hello Globe Trotters! :)