Weekend Bootcamp

May 24, 2009


Scenes from yesterday's activites - which really, for some reason, wore me out - despite not havin' to suffer through boot camp like my other friends (much to their dismay). Hehehe, sorry to disappoint you guys! I was using the drill sergant's photo request as an excuse to skip the bootcamp drill and take photos of my friends in agony. This boot camp event was part of the BssMelb's weekly student activities, which just recently has been incorporated into the Saturday Weekly Runs in Carlton Gardens.


.Stretching in the Gardens. by Mr. Rockband himself.
I love this photo because of its strong autumn colours.
Oh me so proud! ^_^

The morning activity started at 10am and extended well after 1pm - causing us to miss our pre-planned afternoon session of badminton. But it's ok, although I hadn't join in the excrutiating torture, I still managed to join in the football session which took place right after it.

More people showed up in the later part of the event to join in the football - mostly the family men who had nothing better to do in the city but join us whilst their wives went on their shopping spree.

Secretly I have to admit I was quite envious watching my friends go through bootcamp, - not because I have a morbid desire for excrutiating pain and suffering but more because I personally welcome the challenge and want to measure myself. Actually, throughout the whole session I was contemplating on joining in the fun but decided against it... I wanted to "scope" and see what this boot camp was about, since this is only the second time it's run.


.Scenes from the boot camp session.
Note: Drill sergant with the yellow whistle!

The drill sergant for the activity is actually a volunteer by one of the Melbruneian In-Service students who happens to be a military academic. So yeah... we pretty much had a small tiny peephole glimpse of what life would be like in the army.

Among the things the group had to do: Leg-ups, jumping-jacks, various forms of ab crunches, push ups and there was also the much-dreaded burpie (basically, you go down to a push up and then jump back up, kick yourself into the air and strech backwards, forming an inverted image of the letter "C"). One of the participants, who also happens to be a military academic studying in Melbourne, was so fit and used to this routine, that when he did the burpie, he jumped SO HIGH!
Going through the photos, it looks as though everyone had fun... but it also looks painful.


.The High-Jump Burpie. by Mr. Rockband
Actually, this photo perfectly depicts the different stages of the burpie.

For the cool-down session, they organised a quick game of wrestling: the traditional arm-wrestling and back-on-back wrestling (where you sit back to back with a mate, link your arms to one another and wait till someone says: "left" or "right"... and try to wrestle your partner to the ground).

.Cooling down: Arm-wrestle mania.

I decided to shoot this relaxing session in black and white because I wanted to convey a "relaxing, chilled yet having-fun" vibe to it... not quite sure if this mood successfully translates in the photo. Do let me know what you think, would definately welcome some constructive feedback.


.Bliss after the torture.

Note all the smiley faces now :)
For more photos: Photobucket or Facebook

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Hello Globe Trotters! :)