C'est Paris: Day 1

January 3, 2011


Woke up real darn early today! - not that I'm complaining... Actually if I could, I'd love to wake up this early everyday!! That way, days would be much longer and then I would have more opportunity and time to discover Paris :)

It's still wintertime and although the snow has pretty much melted and the streets are no longer slushy, the air is still biting cold. I mean like your-face-is-frozen-eyes-burning-watery-type of cold! BbbbbbRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

But despite it all, I still think winter is my favourite season!

Well it's 15mins to 10am and as I write this, the sun is just (emphasis on the just) about to rise. So having woken up early this morning, I took my time in getting ready for the day, did more unpacking and rearranging, plus somewhere in between it all, i had planned my day's itinerary.

And now here I am, in Paris. At a très parisienne cafe, enjoying my to-die-for freshly brewed cafe au creme (because here they don't understand what cafe latte is) and killing time before I hit the stores to buy some necessities and sort out internet access for my temporary accomodation.

Actually, awesome thing is: this cafe I'm currently in is just 2mins walk from my school, which I decided to visit again a few mins ago to time to metro and what-nots. 

The Le Cordon Bleu school since 1895 - when it first started!


Interesting fact about Le Cordon Bleu:
 
Le Cordon Bleu actually started as a magazine by a French journalist Marthe Distel where. This was where all the famous chefs in Paris contributed to each issue, providing a free recipes to subscribers. This eventually evolved into a free school meant for subscribers only. More info? Click here

From outside, it seems like a small school but I won't truly know until tomorrow *insert suspense-building theme song*  when my class begins! But oddly enough standing there across the street from my school, I couldn't help but think of all the chefs who have come here! That maybe, no wait, make that most certainly the very street I was treading on was the same ones where Julia Child, Brad Farmerie and countless others have once walked on as well!

Defined by white and blue emblem on the top right side of the building.
It's SO BIG, you'd really have to try hard to NOT see it! 
It's almost like slap-in-your-face-I-AM-HERE kind of thing...

Will I ever be successful as them?? Can I be the next michelin-star chef??

WHAT??

Wait... Hold on a minute...

I think I'm getting waaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy ahead of myself here! LOL

I've learnt a long time ago that just because you've been somewhere and studied at some place graced by famous folks does not define your future success - ok, maybe character-wise you'll be defined celebrity-stalker at most....?) but still nonetheless... abilities and success isn't defined by where you've been!

What matters most is how far you're willing to go to cultivate and nurture your talent. An art teacher once told me:

We give you the paintbrush and it's just a matter of how far you're willing to run with it.
Secretly though, I've kinda always thought she unoriginally gotten that phrase from the famous "pass with flying colours" saying.... Hhhhmmmmmmmmm!

Anyhow... the school is situated in a very impressive area I must say! Surrounded by artisan bakers, exotic tea and coffee venders and ultra-parisien cafes....

Well... I will cut it short for now: off I go!
Aside from the household necessities I require, I plan on getting myself a tourist's guide to Paris and it's streets!

Until next entry!

Au revoir!

 
 PS. On my way back to the apartment, I stopped by to take this photo...
Btw: did you know you can go to the top of L'arc de Triomphe? I didn't know! LOL

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Hello Globe Trotters! :)