Bienvenue a Le Cordon Bleu: Demonstration 8

February 2, 2011


Demonstration 8: Gateau Basque & Diplomat's Pudding.

 
 Back: Diplomat's Pudding
Front: Le gateau basque

Yes folks, another new discovery in the land of French pâtisserie: Le Gateau Basque - a 
traditional tart dessert from the Basque region of France. A deceptively plain-looking cake: the first impression of the Gateau Basque resembles that of a un-iced plain sponge cake, streaked across it's browned-crusted surface with triangular scores similar to that of a tartan design. But who would've known that inside this round thingy-ma-gig could be housing something as delicious and delightful as custard creme and sweet fruits?

I for one would LOVE to try and bake-experiment this cake further more: fresh strawberries perhaps? blueberries? raspberries?

Hmmm...

I wonder how that would turn out?

As usual for our demonstration, we had Chef Cotte who (as usual) charmed us with his flirty-comedic behaviour, bringing the girls to little flirty giggles and the guys to the eye-rolls. I'm starting to think that Chef Cotte is our head pâtissier for the basic level in Le Cordon Bleu, Paris. On a side note: I wonder what the guys in class think of Chef Cotte?

Actually now that I think about it: we don't really have much men in basic pâtisserie level. Unfortunately, most of the men in Le Cordon Bleu have enrolled themselves into the cuisine department.... even more unfortunate is that none of them are even remotely cute! 

Although....

there is a CHEF in that department who is reputed to be quite the eye-candy! 

Hmmmmm......

Ok, I'm done...
back to baking stuff...

 Chef Cotte: explaining how to plate a dessert dish

In this class we also learnt to make the diplomat's pudding: a dessert of brioche and custard pudding baked with candied-fruits, served with fresh creme anglaise. Surprisingly, this was the first dessert made in school that I did not like! I think this was mainly because of the candied fruit?

 The Diplomat's Pudding with Plating Designs

I wonder if the diplomat's pudding has anything to do with diplomats and their nature? - Fancy looking in presentation but really just full of crap?

Hahahaha
Bad joke..
I know...

So...........................
On to practical!

Practical 8: The Gateau Basque
 
Well... memories of this practical are still fresh on my mind and I think I will forever remember it because it was my first practical with Chef Cotte.

Sheer. 
Utter. 
Dreadfulness. 

I have heard (and read) about how dreadful it was to be working with this chef but I never did I imagine it was going to be that horrible.

Throughout the entire practical class, each and everyone of us were at the receiving at of his impatient yelling. Unfortunately for myself and another friend, we got it a lot more than others... because our working station was directly next to his standing post (the place were he stands  *duh* throughout the class, after pacing back and forth yelling at each student). So whatever we were doing, he was there to see it all the way through.

As I mentioned before, we're halfway through the course and now aside from learning the basics of french pâtisserie, we're also beginning to incorporate complex plating designs for our desserts. In this practical, the upside to it was that we were learning to design with Chocolate!!

Unfortunately, learning the principles of chocolate and sugarcraft is a difficult process and therefore in Le Cordon Bleu, Paris you don't begin to work with these until the later stages of Intermediate and Superior Levels (boo..!). Alas...I can only dream until then!

Making Piping Cones for Chocolate

 Chef Cotte teaching us how to design cursive words in chocolate

Quite possibly the hardest practical class I had to go through, not because of the cake but mainly because of him. I have to say that I was quite unnerved by the whole experience that I didn't really know how to react to it, which bothered me to a point where I had trouble letting it go: I wasn't sure if I should've been angry, upset or just be plain fine with it.

Chef Cotte evaluating each and every student's work

It was like working with a bipolar person! One minute he's yelling at the top of his lungs (in fast french, mind you!) telling me to start making my fillings and heating up the stove then another minute, he's completely calm and nice, kindly rolling out my entire dough for me. Like... HUH!?! WHA....?? It threw me off balance!

However, despite all that... my cake turned out well. "Tres Bien" as the chef said, giving me a big pat on the shoulders. 

.My Gateau Basque at the end of the practical.

Never was I so relieved that the class had finally ended.

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Hello Globe Trotters! :)