.Late Night Thinking Cap.

September 12, 2009


Dear GOD! It’s Friday night – I can’t believe it! Well to be frankly honest: it’s actually Saturday morning right now (3:30am to be more precise!) I just arrived home after having Sahur with some Bruneian friends in Chillipadi.Had a lovely light dish: a simple roti chanai with beef rendang/curry on the side. A tad bit spicy but nonetheless good on the palate, accompanied by Teh Tarik (literally translated as Pulled Tea: a somewhat sweet frothy milk tea that is famously renowned in South East Asia for being repeatedly poured from one cup to another in high heights to achieve thick froths. More info on Teh Tarik). These two things will serve to fuel me for the next 12 hours before Saturday’s sunset.


Fasting month is nearly coming to an end in 2 weeks time and I am eagerly looking forward to returning home to celebrate the Eid festival with my family, plus minus a few family bickering and friend dramas (I’m quite sure it’s bound to happen!).As the Melbourne weather becomes noticeably warmer, I took the rare opportunity to sit back and reflect on myself and my surrounds: With fasting month acknowledged as the time to deeply reflect on one’s self and exercise our moral principles such as patience, forgiveness and acceptance. I can’t help but notice the one thing we’ve forgotten to observe: the kind act of humbleness without indulgence.

If more than anything, in this fasting month, we eat more in one sitting than we do in the usual three (two in my case as we NEVER eat breakfast). As it is fasting month, options such as to eat out, cook a really filling dinner or celebrate the break of fast with friends become the fastest, easiest and more popular options compared to the creation of a simple light dinner dish at home.

It became apparent to me in the last two days where we for the break of fast, have had filling dinner both in and OUT of the house. On Thursday night, my housemates and I hosted a dinner get together with some friends where we had lasagna, hot mushroom soup, garlic bread, puspa bandung and much more! Tonight (or rather last night) we went out for dinner at the popular Italian joint in Camberwell, named Sophia’s. Yes… I expect that everyone’s waistline will be bulging quite soon.

However, that being said: who am I to judge, right? I figure it’s really none of my business as each person is to their own as I understand that in the end, the decision to eat more is one of personal level and therefore ought not be judged by other people. Just as much as someone doesn’t have a right to judge me in affairs pertaining to myself being, I am fully aware that I ought to give other people the same respect – and I do. I respect that: Don’t judge people unless they give you a direct reason to do so.

Anyhow, enough of my mumbling bumblings.
I shall post up scenes from Thursday’s dinner soon.

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Hello Globe Trotters! :)