Melbourne Trend: Tektonic

September 3, 2009

Hey guys, check this out:



Insane dance moves, right? Geeburz, I didn't even know such dances like these exist up until I came to Melbourne (don't know if I should thank you for that, deuce!)!!

I found it to be a bit hilarious, mainly because I was thinking that if you had suddenly busted these kinds of moves in an all-Asian club, everyone would just simply stop dancing and be like... ta' faaaaaa?? Hahahaha

For those who aren't familiar, this dance moves is called tektonic. It's a style of street dance that incorporates a lot of arms flailing about in the air and, also i have noticed includes the semi-cover-my-face-with-hands signature move. I tried to do a little read up on it to see where this form of dance style came from, but unfortunately no much info (aside from TONS of video samples) can be found. This is mainly because, I suppose, it's still a relatively recent thing.

What I did find out was that this dance style evolved from a fusion of techno and hi-hop dance moves, which started in the hot, sweaty clubs of Paris, France in early 2000*. For me, all I see is arms flailing about in the air and perfected by the twice or thrice "cover-my-face-with-hands" mysterious look...
Hahaha... Would I ever try it? Me thinks not. I guess to truly get into the whole "mood", you need to be "at one with the music" - as much as it sounds corny, it makes sense, no?

On a personal level, I'm not one to dance to electro house music, although I do dig them. The only songs I have are purely for listening pleasures.


*Source of Info: Wikipedia Tektonic

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Hello Globe Trotters! :)